Saturday, March 24, 2012

Oktoberfest 2007

I have a group of friends who have planned a trip to Munich for this year%26#39;s Oktoberfest. I haven%26#39;t traveled much in Europe, so I%26#39;m excited to go, but I really, really cannot stand beer. I%26#39;ve tried all kinds, from all over the world. Tastes gross to me. We are going for almost 10 days, starting in Amsterdam and then heading to Munich. So would it be a total waste for me to go? I%26#39;ve been considering going with them to Amsterdam, then striking out on my own for the rest of the week.




|||



Where exactly is the problem? You can do hundreds of other things in and around Munich if you don%26#39;t want to join the party, you can get non-alcoholic drinks in the beer tents as well or you can get drunk on something else. There%26#39;s more to the O-fest than just beer, and there%26#39;s more to Munich than the Oktoberfest.




|||



Hey!



I also don%26#39;t drink beer but Oktoberfest is a lot of fun also without a beer. Specially if you have a group of friends (alone is not good!).



Food is also good and the german atmosphere with music and traditional %26quot;trachten%26quot; (bavarian tipical clothes) is also nice to see.



I am sure you will enjoyed.



Cheers. Terry




|||



I do like beer, but I don%26#39;t especially like Oktoberfest. It%26#39;s fun for about 4 hours, but at that point, you%26#39;ve pretty much experienced it, and you really have to enjoy overindulgence to stay on there. I get a little nauseous just thinking about it all.





If you%26#39;re excited about going, then GO. Follow them to A%26#39;dam and over to Munich and check it out for a day. You%26#39;ll have to share the streets with millions of others shoulder to shoulder, and you%26#39;ll have to pay way too much for a room (O%26#39;fest inflates prices) but you can at least say you checked it out.





Then head off on your own for a few days. It%26#39;s a great time of year, and there%26#39;s plenty to see in Bavaria. Head south to the Alps - Mittenwald and Garmisch - or west to Landsberg and Augsburg, east to Salzburg and Berchtesgaden, or north to the Romantic Road villages. Once outside Munich, you%26#39;ll find more reasonably priced accommodations. You can get from place to place on a %26quot;Bayern Ticket Single%26quot;, a daypass good for train travel on the regional trains, for 19 Euros/day.





That%26#39;s what I%26#39;d do if I had friends at Oktoberfest!




|||



You can have a great time in Munchen, even if you do think bier is %26quot;gross%26quot;!!! Blasphemy to me, but I completely understand. I spend half my time at the Fest Grounds at the Weinzelt. I have good friends that work there, and they have some good white and red wines. Also, the evtertainment is great at the Weinzelt. I especially enjoy the outside bar on a nice day, and the Weinzelt is open later (0000 to 0030 hrs) than most of the large bier tents. I would be glad to hook-up with people at the Weinzelt.





MK




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, August 21, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment