Thursday, March 29, 2012

3 days in Munich

Hello,





We will be enjoying our first trip to Munich February 16-19th. Any recommendations as to beer gardens, sight seeing, or eating out? I know I%26#39;m trying to pack a lot into a little time period, but I%26#39;d like to get the most out of my stay. Are there any surrounding areas that would make for a short half day trip? Thank you!!




|||



February is not really beer garden time. Normally too cold.



There are of course beer halls like the Hofbräuhaus, Augustiner Keller and many more.





With Andechs Monastry you can combine beer and a short half day trip.



http://www.kloster-andechs.de



It%26#39;s on the outskirts of the Munich public transport network.



http://www.mvv-muenchen.de




|||



D.C. Lola,



You are going to love Munich. It is easily my favorite city in Europe (so far). If you are looking for highlights, I have a goList that may help: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i9419-Munich_Hi…





If you are into art and history, prepare to be overwhelmed with options in Munich. If you are appreciative of Bavarian culture and dining, get ready for one of the most concentrated examples of each.





I%26#39;m a big tourist, so I have no qualms acting like one. If you don%26#39;t mind touristy things, then I HIGHLY recommend taking one of the many bus tours of the city.





If you have the time, get out to Schloss Nymphenburg. Every day, make time for Marienplatz, especially your first day.





For restaurants, aside from Hofbrauhaus you MUST eat at the Ratskeller. Great atmosphere. I think I put a URL to it in my go list.





If you want to visit the Alps, we made it to Garmisch and back in a half-day by train. Again, when I visit I visit like a tourist. I cram as much as I can into a trip. Rest is for those with ample time.





I%26#39;m sure the locals may have different recommendations, but when I visit Munich these are the things I love.





Also make sure to ask at the concierge desk about any local festivals or such that may be going on. There are many in Munich, and every one is worth going to.





I hope you have fun!




|||



Hello D.C.Lola,





Munich is one of Europe%26#39;s great cities. It is also very walkable, even in winter. Most of my trips to Munich have occurred in late Feb. Winter does not stop locals and it shouldn%26#39;t be bad for you. I have a goList for %26quot;Perfect day in Munich%26quot; which is for only 1 day. Add Schloss Nymphenburg to that list and perhaps the Neue Pinokotek and you will fill 2 days completely. Check out: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i9217-If_I_had_…



_Munich.html





Regarding restaurants, the %26quot;Ratskeller%26quot; in the lower level of the Neues Rathaus is quite good and moderately priced. Other good places are %26quot;Bratwurstherzl am Victualiensmarkt,%26quot; and %26quot;Bayrischer Donisl.%26quot; For others, check out the following website. Click in the English flag for English: www.innenstadtwirte.de





Don%26#39;t forget the Hofbräuhaus for the experience and if you want more beer hall fun, there is the Löwenbräukeller, the Augustinerbräuhaus, as well as the WeissesBräuhaus. They are all listed in the above website.





As far as half-day trips are concerned, it depends on what a half-day means. I don%26#39;t know of any trips that are only 4 hours. Garmish - Partinkirchen is reasonable if you can make the right train connections. The Bavarian Ticket will only help you if you travel after 9:00AM. The trip is about 1 1/2 hours with no train changes. That really makes Garmish a day trip, but in Feb. it will be worth it. Garmish is best known as a ski town and it is a wonderful town to enjoy slowly. Just wander around for an hour or so, find a gasthaus that looks go back good and have a bowl of goulasch soup and bread, then wander through the tow towns until you feel like %26quot;kaffee un kuchen%26quot; (coffee and pastry), and head back to Munich and the night life.





Lastly, just a suggestion. I have done Munich both ways - fast and slow. I think that you will have more fun and see more if you take it slow and not try to cram everything into a short time. Most people I know always come back to Munich. It is that good.




|||



%26quot;Most people I know always come back to Munich. It is that good.%26quot;





That%26#39;s the truth. I%26#39;m headed back twice this year alone. You can never really get enough of Munich.





Of course, my grandparents are from Germany, I am a little biased.





On another note, our Garmisch trip began at 11 am I think. This was in November and it was big time snowing. We made it back to Munich around 8PM. I guess that%26#39;s technically more than a half-day trip, but we were up and touring Munich at 7 am. However, it was not my first time in the city. My first trip was for a week and I never left the city borders.





Tough call. If you%26#39;ve never seen a ski town in the bavarian alps, it%26#39;s hard to pass up.





I have a photo or two of Garmisch online somewhere.. I%26#39;ll find the link and post it here.




|||



Bad Tölz would be a nice half day trip, too. Can be reached with the Bayerische Oberlandbahn (BOB) in 50 Min.




|||



Thank you all for the helpful info! I%26#39;d love to visit a bavarian town on the outskirts of Munich and you all made it sound irresistable! Do you prefer Garmish or Bad Tölz? Also, do you think it%26#39;s preferable to rent a car and drive or take the train?





Thanks so much again!!




|||



Also, can anyone give me some info on Fasching? I understand it%26#39;s around the same time that we%26#39;ll be there. Thanks again!




|||



Hi Lola,



Regarding Fasching - it is kind of our equivalent to Mardi Gras. I copied the following out of the Bavarian tourism page:





Munich Fasching (carnival)



07-Jan-2007 - 20-Feb-2007 - Munich (Bavaria)





During the Munich carnival there are hundreds of balls - from the classical Black and White Ball to the colourful Masked Ball. Festivities take place in the pedestrian area with lots of music, masks and dancing on Carnival Sunday (18 February 2007), Carnival Monday (19 February 2007) and Shrove Tuesday (20 February 2007). The %26quot;dance of the market women%26quot; on Viktualienmarkt square at 11am on Shrove Tuesday (20 February 2007) is one of the highlights.





Contact:



Tourismusamt M�nchen



Tel.: +49 (0)89/233 965 00



Fax: +49 (0)89/233 302 33



E-Mail: tourismus@muenchen.de



http://ww.muenchen-tourist.de





For any further information on attractions and sights in the federal state of Bavaria please click here: http://www.bayern.by





My turn again. The event is centuries old and is called %26quot;Carnival%26quot; in the North and most of the rest of the world, and %26quot;Fasching in the South. It is strongest in the Catholic areas (although Nürnberg is Protestant with a strong Fasching program). The 3 major towns in Germany (as I recall from the early 60%26#39;s) are Mainz, Munich, and Cologne. One of the things that I remember was that in olden Germany, the only way a person could be divorced was because of adultry except during Fasching when there was no adultry.





It is a great time with many, many costume balls, lots of drinking (Catholics are supposed to give up drinking for Lent, you know), and general merriment all over the place.





I have been in Munich twice for Fashing and it is better than I can describe.





Hope this helps, and keeps you in Munich longer, or at least brings you back soon.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, August 27, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment