Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Bringing antiques into Germany Rules?

Hello. I will be stopping first at an antique fair in the UK before heading over to Germany (Hamburg). Will there be any problems with my bringing antiques (smalls not furniture) that I have purchased in the UK? DH will be working in Hamburg for 3 months and I will actually be doing this twice.





Also, I know how pricey shipping from the UK to the US is, what can you tell me regarding postage costs from Germany to the US? What are my least expensive options regarding obtaining shipping supplies? In the UK, if the box is over 2 kg, the rates increase dramatically - the same?





Thank you so much for any information that will assist me with this.





blck123cat






|||



There should not be any problems bringing in antiques as long as you don%26#39;t sell them or give them as gifts where then they should be subject to duty. However, I%26#39;m not an expert on this.





Postage costs from Germany to the US are high. The post office (Deutsche Post) is combined with DHL. Shipping supplies are probably easiest obtained from one of their offices. DHL has a large number of rates for within Germany, the under 2 kg being one of them. I don%26#39;t know what their international rates are. Perhaps you could contact your closest DHL office and inquire there. I always carry gifts with me on the airplane as shipping can easily double the cost of a what should be an inexpensive gift.




|||



Thanks Marcopolko for the information about DHL. I did not realize that they were connected with your postal system. I will check out their website.





Hand carrying everything will not work for me however as I will be buying too much for that as these are items that will be shipped back to my antique shops. As they are %26quot;smalls%26quot; I don%26#39;t need a crate, but there will be too many to hand carry back. I accepted a long time ago that this is just part of the cost of obtaining these items that cannot be found easily in the US.





It will be my first trip to your country and am looking forward to learning more about German antiques.





Thanks again for the DHL information.





blck123cat




|||



First, I%26#39;m an American living in Germany.





I believe that your being in the antiques business and buying them and transporting them in quantity could possibly cause difficulties. You probably should contact a German consulate or embassy with your concerns. My answer was for your being an ordinary tourist purchasing a few items for your own use.





I hope that you enjoy your visit and make sure that you see Luebeck.




|||



Thanks. I%26#39;ll just ship before I head to Germany,especially as I doubt there is much difference in the cost and less carryon worries. The less things to worry about the better!





Didn%26#39;t realize that you were actually an American as I just looked at your location. I have seen you around these boards and just knew you as one of the %26quot;locals%26quot;! How long have you been living there?





Thanks again,



blck123cat




|||



I suggest to contact German customs:



zoll.de/english_version/…index.html




|||



I%26#39;ve been living in Stuttgart the past 2.5 years and enjoying it with my German wife, and currently the first snow of the season, almost a foot.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, August 21, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment