Thursday, March 29, 2012

how much has cologne changed?

We are going to Cologne in January. My husband lived and worked there for 18 months but that was about 10 years ago. He is very nostalgic and hopes things haven%26#39;t changed that much as we have very fond memories of cologne. He remembers a bar called Limericks and another called the Harp bar. Anyone got any info on them? He can remember a really big music store as well. Name and directions please.





Any info on Phantasialand as well please. We will be there in early January, is there much to see and do there in winter without the kids? We%26#39;re hoping to check it out so we can take the kids later in the year. Does the local welcome card cover travel to phantasialand and how easy is it to get from the station to the park? We will have the car with us but we were hoping just to use public transport so we could sample the local refreshments!





Many thanks




|||



Some years back I flew into Ireland (Shannon) for a visit. The rental car agent asked me if I had been there before. I answered yes, about a decade before. He told me that I would not recognize the land as it had changed so much.





Much had changed but what was important to me had stayed largely the same. Maybe it is a trick that my mind played. I just hope that your experiences are as happy as my own.





Regards, Gary




|||



You%26#39;re right, Gary. From reading the other messages it seems to be as lively as I remember it. I really liked the buzz of Cologne before and it was a really clean and safe place.





Thanks again




|||



I was in cologne in June (very hot). Regarding the music store, I seem to remember that if you stand with your back to the front of the cathederal, turn left and walk down the pedestrian shopping precint. There are lanes that run of the left of this street down towards the Rhine. Its the second or third on the left, but you can see it from the street you are on. Its the only big music store I saw, at least 4 floors. Not sure about the bars, but there are a few Irish type bars in the same area. Been to Cologne in January as well, (very cold) wrap up warm.




|||



I have been traveling to Cologne for about 12 years now -- and it just gets better.





There%26#39;s an excellent pub in the Altstadt called The Corkonian...and I think you are looking for the Saturne music store -- not sure on directions, but I remember the signs are everywhere as you get off of the train at the Hbf.





Cologne%26#39;s public transport is excellent...plentiful, clean, on time, and efficient.





Enjoy it for me!




|||



Hubby says the directions sound familiar for the music store. Found the pubs on a website wcities.com. Thanks for other suggestions. So far we%26#39;ve only managed a list of pubs on our itinerary!! Open to any other suggestions. Already done cathedral, but will go back, and the chocolate museum.





Looking for a castle to visit which is quite close to cologne, any suggestions please?





Thanksx




|||



Just thought I would update this. Yes Cologne has changed, but it was fantastic!! The chocolate museum was much better 12 years ago. I was very disappointed this time. We found Limericks but it had changed its name and hubby was very disappointed, but we found another bar across the street and on the corner. Great!! The barman swore he was german but spoke with an australian accent, we wouldn%26#39;t believe he was german and he wouldn%26#39;t believe he sounded australian. The trains etc are still as good as ever, very clean and punctual. The Koln welcme card was a great buy. There were 3 of us and we paid 39 euros for a 72 hour card. We just jumped on and off trains and wandered around Cologne at our leisure. We returned to Das Kleine Steakhaus on Hohestrasse and it was as fantastic as ever. We had a friend with us who thoroughly approved of it ( and he loves his steak). We dined there for 3 nights. Complimentary aperatifs on arrival, 3 drinks, 1 fillet steak, 1 sirloin steak, 1 chateaubriand steak, 1 baked potato with creamy sauce, 2 chips, portion mushrooms, portion broccoli, 2 salads and coffee for 54 euros, service charge included. It tasted fantastic. The shopping was fantastic as well. Enough bars for hubby and friend to disappear to while I shopped. I felt really safe even when I was shopping alone. The cathedral is as awesome as ever. What a really beautiful and breathtaking building. Yes Cologne has changed but it is as good as ever!!




|||



oops forgot to mention!!! I stocked up on my winter woolies and it was sooooo warm!. One night when we came out of the Steakhaus it was 11C at 10 00pm!!




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, August 20, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment