Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Berlin transportation questions and others

We are arriving at 8:30 or so on a Friday morning at Tegel and will be staying in the Savignyplatz area. Then we will be leaving out on the following Tuesday morning from the main rail station, taking a train to Essen.





My questions are, what is the best way to get from Tegel to Savignyplatz? We will have some luggage. There are two couples, but I am completely happy taking public transporation, S Bahn, U Bahn, bus, whatever. And where do we get this transportation from the airport, buy tickets, etc.





Tuesday on the way out to the main rail station ( I think it%26#39;s called Lehrter Bahnhoff? Is that right?) from Savignyplatz, what is the best public transportation to take?





Also we will be needing either a pass or buying individual public transportation tickets for 5 days I guess, although we will be leaving early on Tuesday. We could buy 4 or 5 one day passes, a 7 day pass or the Welcome Card. How many days is that good for? We won%26#39;t be doing a lot of museums so I don%26#39;t know if that%26#39;s the best option. What kind of value is that? Can we buy our tickets for all those things at Tegel? And do we need an extension or something to get to SavignyPlatz? Which would be most economical for us and where do we buy them?





Also I am thinking of making a reservation at the Reichstag restaurant for lunch the day we arrive so we could get in there right away. Any thoughts on that? I%26#39;m running the marathon on Sunday so I need to get on the right time zone and see some things our first day.





One more question: Has anyone done any of the pub crawls? We are young 50%26#39;s and I think it would be a good way to see some of the clubs/pubs our last night in Berlin. Not looking to get trashed but just see some variety, meet some people, have a few drinks. Which ones are the best and what is your opinion on them? We like to have a good time.





Thanks so much for your help




|||



Hi,



getting from Tegel to Savignyplatz is easy. Just take an express bus - X9 for Zoo or 109 for S-Bahn station Charlottenburg. From there you just take the S-Bahn and get off at Savignyplatz. Check the BVG journey planner for more details (From: TXL, To: S Savignyplatz).





fahrinfo-berlin.de/fahrinfo/bin/query.bin/en…





A single ticket costs 2,10€/person. You can buy it directly from the driver. A Taxi to Savignyplatz should cost around 15€.





From Savignyplatz to Hauptbahnhof again take the S-Bahn. It is a trip of maybe 10 minutes...4 station if I remember rightly.





For ticket infos look here:



http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/Bvg/Index/folder/706/name/Tickets+%26+Fares





Unfortunately I have no experiences with Reichstag restaurant or pub crawls.





Hope this helps....





:-)




|||



solid8 already mentioned the best way to get from the airport to your hotel and from there to the Hauptbahnhof.





I don%26#39;t know right now what ticket might be best. I had just a quick overview of the tariffs. The City Tour Card or Welcome card have are valid for up to 72 hours after validating which is about 3 days. The Welcome card would cost you 24 Euros, the City tour card would be a little bit cheaper. I certainly wouldn%26#39;t get 4 or 5 days one day passes as there will be more expensive than the other options. If you are not interested in the discounts of the Welcome or City Tour Card the best option might be the 7 day pass which will cost you 25.40 Euro even if you don%26#39;t need it for 7 days. You can get the tickets at the airport, there is a little ticket counter near the main entrance. You do not need a special ticket for gettting away from the airport. All the information you can find on www.bvg.de or www.berlin-airport.de





My boy friend has been to the restaurant at the the Reichstag and her personally was quite dissapointed from the food and the service. It%26#39;s been a while since he has been there so maybe that has changed. Anyway, I think you%26#39;ll find many much nice restaurants in Berlin.




|||



Thanks for your replies. Right now I looked at the different options and I%26#39;m thinking of buying the 7-day pass when we get there. If I buy one of the Welcome Cards, knowing myself like I do, I would probably just make myself crazy trying to do things I really don%26#39;t want to do. I also looked at the day passes, but if I bought four of those plus a single ride out to the hauptbahnhof on the last day it would come out to the same price and the 7-day would be so much more convenient.





Having said that, I printed off the Tegel map and if we are feeling good we%26#39;ll take the bus to the Zoo Station and maybe walk those last 3 or 4 blocks to the hotel or jump on the S-Bahn to Savignyplatz. If we%26#39;re completely exhausted, disoriented, we will take a taxi to the hotel.





As far as the Reichstag restaurant, I think we%26#39;ll pass on that. That will just be one more thing that I HAVE to do at a certain time. I%26#39;ll leave a little more flexibility into the schedule and maybe do the view from the TV tower. Don%26#39;t want to wait in those long lines at the Reichstag. That%26#39;s why I thought maybe that would be nice.





Still thinking about the Pub Crawl on the last night. Hopefully we%26#39;ll be oriented to the city by then so after a few drinks we can still find our way back to the hotel :)





Thanks again. I%26#39;m so looking forward to the trip.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, August 24, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment